Teddy will be OK.
I’m back at the home I am staying at after a rush visit to a veterinarian‘s office in Vernon, B.C. (I am on the road, staying at a friends, while in transition)
The good news is, I started crying in the lobby at the vet’s after they treated Teddy because they said “no charge.” Yep, they didn’t charge me. So much has gone wrong daily since I arrived in the Okanagan that this vet clinic was a breath of fresh air.
Teddy has never been injured before. Poor guy, he was so confused.
Teddy stepped on some cacti burrs at a dog park!
With long 2 inch spines/spikes.! What are those doing at a dog park that I thought was safe for dogs!?
He got two burrs stuck in the bottom of his foot pads. I calmly got one out but couldn’t get the other spikes/burrs out without hurting him.
And the problem was, we had a long way to walk back to the car, including not just the hiking trail we had been on at the park, but pavement in the parking lot, so I feared that the long cacti spikes would be driven further into his foot.
In the end, it got stuck in my sweatpants and attached to my sweatpants … and MY leg!
My leg quickly got all red with a rash. I am still in the midst of an allergic reaction to the cacti and on Benedryl.
Teddy is sleeping. It took everything out of him, today.
The kindness at the veterinarians office, and the AMAZING vet tech, who made a bad situation better. Thank you Central Animal Hospital. You are angels, and were kind to a visitor in your town, and I will not forget you. You cared not only about me while I have been in a crisis, but showed kindness, love and care for my dog.
There are kind business owners out there.
But what a rough day. Time for a nap.
This is a post of the Adventures of Teddy and Brenda which I hope to never repeat again. Thankfully, my dog is OK. Please note my warning to the public below:
– Brenda Johima
P.S. The next day :
Those spiky cactus burrs took everything out of Teddy and I. Teddy is still in bed! It’s 9:38 AM and he hasn’t even cared to go out and pee or eat breakfast. He has really really slept in, which has given me extra rest this morning also.
Hopefully he will perk up soon and be OK.
P.S. I DO hope that the City of Vernon cleans up their dog parks, and at MINIMUM, posts visible warning signs at the dog park to let people know that there are such dangerous plants there.
The park that Teddy got injured at is called Becker Park and it is listed as a “Dog Park” by Greater Vernon Recreation Services. I do NOT recommend it, unless they post warning signs to warn of the dangerous plants (long spikes on cacti burrs) that could harm both dogs and people. There was also garbage strewn about throughout, again, not safe for dogs.